PEEK Plastic Parts
There are many types and grades of polyetheretherketone (PEEK), some lending themselves to certain functions more readily than others. PEEK’s physical properties allow for broad usage across nearly every industry. Parts made from this highly machinable plastic can be found in bearings, piston parts, aerospace, medical prostheses, and many other products, with the range of applications expanding every day.
Advanced Industrial has served countless industries with our high-performance plastics, and PEEK continues to be our specialty on the market.
What is PEEK Plastic?
PEEK is a highly machinable, organic, semi-crystalline thermoplastic. Its polymer structure yields exceptional environmental resistances, dimensional stability, and mechanical strength. Some of the key performance characteristics of PEEK include:
- Suitability for use at temperatures persisting up to 250°C (483°F), and even higher in steam or high-pressure environments with maintained rigidity.
- Melting point of 343°C (649.4°F).
- Autoclavable for increased sanitation and medical applications.
- Extremely low toxicity and gas emission when exposed to open flames, increasing safety in high heat environments.
- Suitable for use in ultra-high vacuum pumps.
- Incredibly strong and stiff with excellent shatter resistance.
- Machinable with diamond-filmed, polycrystalline diamond (PCD), or polished carbide tooling (PCD cutters are recommended when machining glass-filled PEEK).
- High resistance to chemicals, solvents, hydrolysis, seawater, and many other aqueous environments.
- Dissolves very slowly in concentrated acid solutions, such as high molarity nitric and sulfuric acids.
- Creep-resistant, even at high temperatures.
- Can be filled with glass or carbon-fiber fillers for enhanced physical properties, such as greater ranges of thermal stability and improved mechanical strength.
- Little moisture absorption.
- Well-suited for hostile environments and makes an excellent candidate as a high-strength replacement of fluoropolymers.
- Durable, wear-resistant, and extremely long useful lifetimes, even in punishing environments and excessive wear applications.
- Resistant to high energy radiation.
- Inherently flame-retardant.
Benefits of PEEK Plastic
Thanks to the above characteristics, all grades of PEEK share the following benefits:
Rigidity at high temperatures
PEEK Plastic Industries and Applications
Manufacturers and engineers are constantly finding new uses for PEEK. The material is highly versatile and able to be adapted for use in even the most extreme operating environments. Below are some examples of the current applications for PEEK.
We offer custom, high-performance PEEK bearings.
Advanced Industrial's High-Performance PEEK Plastics
Advanced Industrial is a distributor and fabricator specializing in CNC-machined components made from aluminum and high-performance plastics like PEEK. We are also the premier supplier in the nation of high-performance plastic machinable shapes, with stock materials that come in sheet, plate, rod, and tubular bar form. We present a healthy variety of bearing-grade PEEK composites with PV values as high as 120,000 while dry running, and we cut all materials to order with very tight tolerances.
For the best service in the industry, contact our experienced team today and tell us how we can help with your next project.